Thursday, October 21, 2010

KUMU

Here's a little story for you... In Hawaii, they do in fact speak Hawaiian. However most people speak a mix of both Hawaiian and English (or Pidgin) I have been catching on a lot this past week because of living with two little boys and being immersed all day long at school. Many kids call me Auntie at school but today I was called Kumu. I had no clue what I was being called and after working at Beaver Falls high school I wanted to know immediately what i was being referred to as.
Kumu is the hawaiian word for teacher. It was a really great moment for me to be recognized as not only an adult or teacher but I am 11 students' Kumu and i could not be more happy. Then i came home today to find out that all of my Praxis scores are FINALLY in and recorded with passing scores may i add. I am now officially a Kumu.

No comments:

Post a Comment